In September 2020, during the 53rd Meeting of the Foreign Ministers of the Member Countries of ASEAN, Italy officially received the status of ASEAN Development Partner.
Global Action wants to welcome and celebrate such an important acknowledgment by organizing an online Youth Conference involving the Italian and ASEAN students, the ASEAN Embassies Rome-based and the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The young delegates will deal with key topics common to both ASEAN and Italy, developing innovative and pioneering policies proposals. Students will draft their conclusions on the proposed topics in a Final Communiqué which will be presented to the ASEAN Embassies and the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Health & Covid-19 Response
Education & Innovation
Sustainability & Resilient Futures
1st Youth Conference on ASEAN & ITALY – Partnership for Development
The “1st Youth Conference on ASEAN & Italy – Partnership for Development” will take place between the end of February and the beginning of April. It will be divided in two phases:
- The first part will be entirely dedicated to the preparation and training of the young delegates, through a series of webinars held by international experts and institutions’ officials. The meetings will take place in the 4 weeks prior to the conference. During the last week, two Youth inspiring events are also planned, which will see the participation as speakers of young people who actively dedicate themselves to the creation and dissemination of opportunities for change and growth in their territories.
- The second phase will see the organization of an International Conference, from 7 to 8 April 2021. During the Conference, the young delegates from Italy and ASEAN countries will work together, virtually, on the drafting of concrete solutions and youth-oriented recommendations, aimed at strengthening the cooperation between Italy and the ASEAN countries in the 3 main areas of the conference. The delegates will elaborate a final communiqué which will then be delivered to the institutions and partners involved.
PROGRAM OF THE PREPARATION PHASE
First Meeting – Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
TOPIC: Interactive Q&A between Speakers and Students on the importance of the Development Partnership between ASEAN and Italy.
WHO: Joint meeting Italian and ASEAN students: Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs – South-East Asia Division
WHEN: Wednesday, 10th March 2021, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (CET)
Second Meeting – ASEAN Committee in Rome (ACR) and ASEAN Secretariat
TOPIC: Interactive Q&A between Speakers and Students on ASEAN, its objectives, main fields of action.
- For Italian students: ASEAN Committee in Rome (ACR) – Friday, 13th March 2021, at 4:00 p.m. (CET)
- For ASEAN students: Officer from ASEAN
Third Meeting – Meet the Expert!
TOPIC: Meeting with experts, one for each topic of the conference.
WHO: Italian students and ASEAN students will both participate jointly, divided in the working committees they applied for.
- Tuesday, 16th March 2021, 10:00 a.m. (CET) – Education and Innovation: Associazione Italia-ASEAN – Mr. Valerio Bordonaro
- Thursday, 18th March 2021, 10:00 a.m. (CET): Ensuring Sustainability and Resilient Future: Ce. S.I. – Ms Francesca Manenti
- Health & Covid-19 Response: Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
Fourth Meeting – Youth-Oriented Meetings (22-26 March)
Meeting 1: Youth as an active driving force of good social change
WHO: Joint meeting italian and ASEAN students with the ASEAN Youth Organization – Mr. Teo Jayren (President), Mr. Michael Nugraha Budiarto
Meeting 2: Entrepreneurship and cultural diplomacy
WHO: Joint meeting italian and ASEAN students with the UNDIKNAS Studies Centre – Universitas Pendidikan Nasional, Bali
PROGRAM OF THE CONFERENCE (7-8 April)
Day 1 – 7th April 2021
9:00 (CET) Opening Ceremony
10:00 – 13:00 (CET) Begin works in committees
Day 2 – 8th April 2021
8:30 – 12:30 (CET) Working Session in the 3 working groups
12:30 (CET) Start of the Closing Ceremony
THE ROLE OF THE SELECTED DELEGATE
As a young delegate you will represent the youth of your country and you will have to:
- Participate in the preparatory meetings held by selected international experts before the conference
- Develop specific policy proposals on the areas mentioned above, in cooperation with the other delegates from ASEAN countries and Italy
- Create policy proposals that will stregthen and enlarge the cooperation between Italy and ASEAN for young people
- Set a short final document with your working group proposals to be shared with Italian institutions and ASEAN institutions